Case Study: Women's Health Clinic Assessment of Operations and Productivity
Avanza capabilities at work: Strategic Planning, Feasibility Assessment, Operations
"Avanza provided us with the information we needed to improve the financial viability of our clinic. We continue to work with the Avanza team implementing their recommendations and look forward to making changes to allow us to provide better care to our patients."
A women's health clinic was underperforming. The organization, a federally qualified health center (FQHC), was marginally profitable and saw high demand for its services, and yet it faced a number of strategic, financial and operational challenges. Practice pattern preferences of clinicians were creating operational inefficiencies and hampering access to care. The FQHC was not maximizing its existing revenue opportunities or exploring new revenue enhancement strategies. Competition was increasing while the clinic was struggling with perception and reputation issues.
Avanza Healthcare Strategies was brought in by the FQHC's leadership to assess the clinic's performance. The goal of the assessment was to identify opportunities to improve the efficiency, productivity and financial viability of the clinic to ensure its sustainability going forward.
HOW WE HELPED
- Conducted on-site interviews with key leadership and staff.
- Researched location, patient population and competing providers to gain a better understanding of opportunities and challenges.
- Performed extensive report review and data analysis of areas including operations, financials, appointments, scheduling, grant contracts and employment contracts.
- Identified strategies to improve clinic practice patterns, including expanding appointment availability, establishing new policies to enhance patient access, centralizing scheduling, reducing unnecessary patient visits and increase standardization of equipment and supplies.
- Recommended ways to improve other areas of clinic operations, including insurance verification, patient forms, appointment reminders and follow up, and tracking operational and financial progress.
- Detailed opportunities to improve surgery scheduling and reduce inefficiencies, including establishing protocols related to booking surgery assists, ensuring surgical assists are properly billed, reducing approval times for scheduling and proactively managing surgery type and payer mix.
- Shared steps to take to capture more of available grant funding, including establishing new protocols centered around expanding patient education efforts, improving bill submission and encouraging qualified patients to receive family planning counseling.
- Provided suggestions to improve the FQHC's perception and reputation to patients and prospective staff in areas including wages and benefits, web presence, vision and long-term strategy.
Avanza generated a comprehensive analysis report that shared findings and nearly 30 recommendations with varying levels of ease of implementation and value-add to the organization. These recommendations were broken down by recommended implementation time period: immediate term, short term and moderate term.
This report was provided to the FQHC's leadership, which accepted the recommendations and has begun their implementation. Avanza is serving as an advisor to the clinic during the implementation, supporting the efforts to ensure action is taken quickly and efficiently in order to maximize benefit to the clinic and, most importantly, to the patients served by the FQHC.